Leap



I am reading a book called "The Spark". I am only 4 chapters into it but I think it is drastically changing the way my team and I look at our lives and how we do church. It's a story about the main character, Frank, finding the passion that he once had in his job. I can't tell you how much this book hits home. So many of my friends live in a world where their creativity has been stifled by bosses who just want the job done or organizations who don't value the art of creativity.

I was reading one evening and almost passed by a line that deserved more than just a second glance. I think I read it and said to myself, "I believe that", but moving on without giving it more thought would have been a tragedy. I thought profound statements like this one would not be reserved for a character that would be considered less than a supporting character.
He said, "Nothing of significance could be accomplished without taking a leap of faith."

I guess you could also say, you won't make that big of a difference in the world unless you take some risks. My dad always used to tell me something that I will probably keep with me all my life as one of those filters I run my life through. He would say, "If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always gotten."

I wonder how big of a difference we could make if we were a people who took leaps of faith. Leaps of faith in the insurance world, in doing church, in our marriages and our friendships. Taking leaps of faith don't always turn out right, but at least you can say that in your life, you took some.

8 comments:

Nicely said my brother. Nicely said.

July 21, 2007 at 8:59 PM  

I agree with Tyler - there's something about looking back on your life and saying "I took a risk." I can say that about my job and my move here, but I want to be able to say that in all arenas of life... it's scary but SO worth it! Living on faith - how awesome to say that you spent your life striving for that.

July 22, 2007 at 7:43 AM  

SHove! Music to my ears today. Funny how your writing speaks exactly to where I am - sitting on the couch pondering just which direction to take at a fork in the road. Thank you for always being a person who sought and replicated truth. I hope you and cute Tallie are doing great!

July 23, 2007 at 3:43 PM  

Wow, you're hot.

July 25, 2007 at 9:25 AM  

um... hello??? where you at?

July 25, 2007 at 10:28 PM  

Good stuff! Thanks for helping me move Friday and not selling my phone on ebay. Your the greatest!

July 30, 2007 at 10:27 AM  

We need a new post my friend. Get it in gear.

August 3, 2007 at 1:29 PM  

I was thinking the same thing! More posts please.

August 7, 2007 at 10:26 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home